Abuse & Neglect

Animal House takes in many special needs animals.  We take care of any ailment or surgery that needs to be done on any animal we rescue including, but not limited to: heart worm treatments, cruciate ligament repair, patella surgery, FHO, heart surgery, diabetes, anxiety disorders, auto immune deficiencies, liver shunts etc.  On average, AHS takes in at least one animal per week that has one of the above ailments or needs surgery.  We do not believe that any animal should be left to be euthanized at a high kill facility because they are sick or injured.  Society has already failed them at one point in time and someone needs to speak up and rescue those that are defenseless and without a voice.  That is who we are are and that is what Animal House Shelter has always been about.  These ailments & surgeries are extremely expensive and we need the communities help to not leave these poor souls to be discarded with no one to care for them.
ATTENTION!!!   Should you receive or have any information related to suspected dog fighting or animal abuse/neglect, please do not hesitate to contact Steven Davis directly. His team will take immediate action.

Steven Davis

Director: Star #81

Animal Crimes Investigations Unit

Cook County Sheriff’s Police




There is hope for Virginia!

virginia collage

Even though Animal House shelter receives hundreds of emails every day with heart wrenching photos of animals in need of rescue, when sweet Virginia’s picture showed up in our inbox, we couldn’t help but weep for this poor baby girl. She had such a terrible case of demodectic mange and was missing so much of her hair that it was hard to even tell what color her coat was. The legions of scabs and sores covering her body were larger than the tiny patches of hair that were still managing to grow. Her eyes were swollen shut due to entropian of both of her lower eyelids. This is a condition in which the eyelid folds inward causing the eyelashes to constantly rub against the cornea and irritate it. It is excruciatingly painful and creates a state of almost constant infection. Despite all of this, she would still manage a lethargic thump of her tail and a lick to the nose when an AHS staff member would hold her and caress her. Virginia was placed in foster care, put on a rigorous treatment regimen for her mange and had surgery performed to correct her entropian eyelids. Now, because of the loving care given to her by Animal House Shelter, Virginia is not even recognizable as the same dog that came to us only a few short months ago. She is full of spunk and energy and can’t get enough of belly rubs and romping in our play yard with her doggy friends. Please consider donating to AHS so that we can continue to give dogs like Virginia the chance at life that they so greatly deserve!

Foster Application


Reporting Animal Abuse or Neglect

What should I do if I witness an animal being mistreated?

If you witness animal abuse or neglect, please contact your local humane society, animal shelter, police department or animal control agency immediately. In most areas, those agencies have the authority to enforce state and local laws related to animals and the capability to investigate and resolve these situations. They rely on concerned citizens to be their eyes and ears in the community and to report animal suffering. You can choose to remain anonymous, although giving your name to your humane agency will enable that group to follow up with you when necessary.

These dedicated agencies have the important job of ensuring that animals in their jurisdiction receive proper food, water, and shelter, and are protected from abandonment and cruel treatment. The prevention of cruelty to animals represents the core mission of many local animal care organizations. Investigation requests can come from members of the community or other law enforcement agencies.

How are complaints investigated?

While the exact process may vary depending on the local laws and procedures, an officer will look into the complaint to see if animal cruelty statutes have been violated. If in fact a violation has occurred, the officer may speak with the owner and issue a citation and give the owner a chance to correct the violation.

The majority of cruelty complaints stem from simple neglect of the animal, rather than deliberate abuse.  The humane officer’s biggest role is as an educator—informing well-meaning, but unknowledgeable, pet owners of the proper care of their pets.

In rare cases, animal neglect or abuse may be extreme and require immediate intervention. Depending on the circumstances, the animals may be removed from the situation by the humane agency to protect them from further harm. The agency will present the case to the prosecutor’s office for further evaluation and possible prosecution. Some agencies have the power to obtain and serve warrants; other agencies work closely with local police who execute the search warrant on their behalf.

What happens to the pet owner and the animals in these cases?

State and local laws are written to protect the individuals being prosecuted as well as the animals involved. Such laws also determine how long the animals must be housed at the animal shelter while a case is being processed by the court system. Caring for animals seized in a cruelty case can be an expensive and time-consuming effort. When animals must be housed at the shelter for long periods of time while a case is being processed, it can create stress for both the animals and the staff.

With the best interests of the animals in mind, many states have established civil procedures to allow the agency to petition the general district court in the city or county where the animals were seized for a hearing to expedite custody of the animals to the agency. This type of process prevents a long stay at the shelter for the animals involved while waiting for resolution to the trial, and allows them to be adopted to new, safe homes or humanely euthanized if they are suffering or unsuitable for adoption.

How can I find my local animal care and control agency?

You can find the name and number of your local humane society or animal control agency by looking in your phone book’s yellow pages under “animal shelter,” “humane society,” or “animal control,” or by calling Information. Often, public animal care and control agencies are also listed under the city or county health department or police department.
You can also find contact information for animal shelters, animal control agencies, and other animal care organizations in your community through web sites like www.Petfinder.com. Please report any incident to your police department or animal control facility immediately.

Check out The HSUS’s First Strike campaign.