How to adopt from us
(click on the Contact Us page and scroll all the way to the bottom to view the interactive Google map)
Animal House Shelter tries to keep the environment for the animals in our care, as healthy, stress free and comfortable as possible during their stay with us. Therefore, Walk-Through viewing of the dogs is NOT allowed at the shelter, due to the stress it creates.
During your visit to the shelter, an adoption counselor will assist you through the adoption process and introduce you to as many dogs as you would like to meet, in order to make the best possible match for you, your family and your new pet.
The cats are housed in a large ‘free roam’ cat room. They are able to socialize all day with each other, staff, volunteers and potential adopter.
Like people, animals have distinct personalities that make them unique. At Animal House we are proud to say that these animals are treated like our own. We care enough to be certain they go to the right loving, forever home.
We are open for adoptions Daily 11 am – 7 pm!
- All adoption donations MUST be in cash, money order, traveler’s check , cashier’s check or by VISA, DISCOVER or MASTERCARD credit card only. NO PERSONAL CHECKS PLEASE.
- You must be at least 21 years old to adopt.
- All members of the household must be present, including any other dogs you may currently own, in order to do a final adoption (cats do not have to come to the shelter. We will cat test here because we know how stressful it is on the cats to be transported).
- Dogs and cats that you currently own must be current on vaccinations and spayed/neutered prior to visiting the shelter or any adoption.
- Fill out the Online Application and submit.–Vet Reference is necessary if you have owned a pet.
- Any adoption may be subject to a “home check” prior to finalization.
- We do not allow anyone to put a pet “on hold”, no exceptions.
- Adoption Donations for dogs & puppies ranges from $100-$450 (each individual profile will state the adoption donation)
- Adoption Donations for cats & kittens ranges from $75-$225 (each individual profile will state the adoption donation)
- Many older dogs and cats have reduced adoption donations which are listed on their individual profiles on the ‘Adoptable Dogs’ or ‘Adoptable Cats’ page.
- If you are a Senior Citizen-please call or email to ask about our SENIOR to SENIOR Program- When People 65 years or older, with approved application, adopt a pet 8 years or older the adoption donation is waived!
- At time of adoption an adoption counselor will take you through the process and answer any questions you may have, as well as ask you questions regarding the adoption.
- We have adoption hours 7 days a week 11am-7pm Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sun. Tues adoption hours are 11am-4pm. Sat our adoption hours are from 9am-7pm. There is no appointment necessary.
- We are always open during the same hours on holidays.
- We microchip, spay/neuter, heartworm test or FeLV/FIV test and give vaccinations to all animals. They are also all on Heartgard Plus & Frontline Plus every month while in our care. You are also offered pet insurance through ShelterCare.com.
- We do require that when you adopt one of our cats/kittens that they are taken home in an appropriate carrier. You can bring in your own carrier or we can supply you with a cardboard carrier for $10.
Please Remember, all other dogs and family members must be present at the shelter for any final adoption.
Please use directions below (or call if you still need help).
MAPQUEST & GPS WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE ACCURATE DIRECTIONS TO GET TO US!!
From the East-(Chicago)
90 West to Rte 47
Turn right off Exit (North)
Take Left on Main St
Take a Right on Coyne Station Rd
Take a Right on Ernesti Rd
On Corner of Ernesti Rd &
Coyne Station Rd
13005 Ernesti Rd
Thank you for visiting Animal House Shelter, Inc.