Adopt a Dog or Cat
Submit Your Application
Many of the animals we rescue have been neglected or abused. We want to make sure that their new homes are capable of giving them the love they need.
Animals Are Fully Vetted
All our animals are spayed/neutered, socialized with people and other animals, vaccinated, dewormed, Heartworm/FeLV/FIV tested and microchipped. Your pet will be ready to go!
Pair Pets with Parents
We’ll review your application, ask any follow up questions, and find you a match. Our counselors find the right pet for your family. We match you according to space, time, family situation, size, temperament, and age.
Typical Steps for Dog or Cat Adoption
- Potential parents complete the adoption application form.
- Once processed, you will be contacted by an application specialist that can answer any questions you might have about the adoption process.
- Plan your visit! The shelter is currently open by appointment only with an approved application. Once you make an appointment, you will be able to work one on one with an adoption counselor to help you find the perfect fit for you family! Be sure to check individual profiles for availability dates if there is an animal in particular you would like to meet.
- Once your entire family and any other dogs in the family have met with your new pet it’s time to make it official! Our adoption counselors will take you step by step through the finalizing paperwork! A photo ID will be required.
- Congratulations! It is time to take home your new pet and make him/her a part of your family forever!
“Adopting Winnie was a great experience at the animal house shelter. The staff was very patient and informative as we considered on adding another family member and they were very helpful when it came time for her to meet our other dog, Elvis. I would highly recommend animal house shelter to anyone looking to adopt.”
How old do I have to be to adopt?
What are the requirements to adopt?
- Before applying to adopt, ensure all family members are in agreement with adopting a new pet. We do not do surprises/gifts.
- You must complete an adoption application online.
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- You must receive a phone call or email from our application specialist that your application is approved.
- The shelter is currently open by appointment only with an approved application. Contact the shelter to make an appointment.
- All members of the household must be present, including any other dogs you may currently own, in order to do a final adoption (cats do not have to come to the shelter – we will cat test here because we know how stressful it is on the cats to be transported). As well as a photo ID will be needed.
- Dogs that you currently own must be current on distemper and rabies vaccinations prior to visiting the shelter for any adoption. And cats must be current on their distemper vaccine.
What breeds of dogs do you rescue and/or have at the shelter?
I don't see the breed or type of dog I am looking for on your website
Can you tell me about a specific animal's history?
Can I walk through the back to see all the dogs and pick the one I am interested in?
Where are the cats housed at the shelter?
What types of payment do you accept?
When are adoption hours?
We have adoption hours 7 days a week 11am-7pm Monday – Friday, and Sunday. Saturday adoption hours are 9am-7pm. The shelter is currently open by appointment only with an approved application. We are open every single day of the year, even holidays!
Is there a careful screening process for potential adopters?
Will I love my new pet?
Who should come with me to the shelter when I'm ready to adopt?
Do you offer a military discount?
We would like to extend our gratitude to the men and women who have served or are currently serving our country in the US armed forces by offering a 50% discount on adoption donations for those who active or reserve members of our armed forces and a 25% discount on adoption donations for veterans.
Please provide documentation and/or identification when completing adoption papers to ensure discount is applied.
What if I own a pet(s) already?
Can I put the animal on hold until I'm ready to adopt?
What is the cost to adopt an animal from AHS?
Our Adoption Donations for dogs & puppies ranges from $100-$600 (each individual profile will state the adoption donation). Many older dogs have reduced adoption donations which are listed on their individual profiles. Our Adoption Donations for cats & kittens ranges from $75-$275 (each individual profile will state the adoption donation). Many older cats have reduced adoption donations which are listed on their individual profiles. If you are a Senior Citizen-please call or email to ask about our SENIOR to SENIOR Program- When People 65 years or older, with approved application, adopt a pet 8 years or older the adoption donation is waived!
Will the animal I adopt be microchipped?
Do the animals at the shelter already have their vaccines and preventative medication?
If I am adopting a cat or kitten, do I need to bring something to transport them home in?
What type of food are the dogs eating while at the shelter?
I am interested in adopting two dogs or cats
How can I be sure the animal I am interested in is available at the shelter when I visit?
- If there isn’t a date on their profile, they are available now
- If they have a date, they can not be seen or adopted until that date
- If their profile says “I’m in foster care” then an appointment has to be made after your application is approved