Become a Volunteer
Help Us Help Them
And have a fun time while doing it!
Our volunteers keep animals safe, healthy, and happy as they get ready for their new lifetime homes.
There are so many ways to volunteer your time to the shelter. Whether you want to visit with the animals or offer other services like marketing expertise, event engagement, construction services, or any of the examples below, we could most certainly utilize your time.
We Could Utilize Your Services!
We couldn’t save the lives of these animals without you. We appreciate any time or donations you can offer us.
We need volunteers seven days a week from 11:00-7:00. If you even have an hour, stop by. There’s always a pet in need.
Anyone can volunteer!
You just have to love animals and be ready to work.
We rescue thousands of abused and neglected dogs and cats every year. They all need care, help, and your love.
What will I do as a volunteer at Animal House?
- Walk and socialize with the dogs
- Bathe and groom dogs
- Spend quality 1-on-1 time with the animals to help socialize them and teach them tricks! (puppies, kittens & cats too)
- Spend time in the ‘Free Roam’ cat room to socialize, groom or otherwise, help make their lives more comfortable
- And more!
“Unconditional Love is as Close as your nearest Shelter”
“One of the greatest things you can donate to a shelter is your time.”Project Pawsitivity
Other Ways to Volunteer
• Assist with donation boxes. We need pickup and more businesses to place them
• Assist with monthly (or other frequency) of donation pickups
• Hold a neighborhood drive for items on the shelter wish-list
• Request and pickup bedding from hospitals, hotels, carpet stores, etc.
• Help do data-entry into our Pet Point system
• Help enter dates on 4 adoption websites that we use. This is needed every day
• Visit/call local businesses to ask if they would donate anything for Raffle Baskets or Silent Auctions for large shelter fundraisers.
• Call schools to get their students involved in volunteering
• Spread the word on social media about Animal House Shelter, our adoptable animals, and events
• Be a volunteer greeter on Saturday and/or Sunday. Answer phones, take messages, answer questions, hand out coffee/baked goods to waiting adopters, etc.
• Help out on Saturday and Sunday mornings (our busiest times!) with keeping puppy playpens clean at all times, ensuring puppies have fresh water and food while they wait to get adopted
• Help write grants if you have experience
• Help with ideas of new fundraisers we can do
• Help with the bi-yearly newsletter
• Create new designs for shelter gear
• Ask local paper to do stories on the shelter, post adoptable dogs and cats. Ask local news stations and magazines to do stories on the shelter, post adoptable dogs and cats, etc.
• Meet adoptable animals at the shelter and write cute bios/information about their personality and traits for us to add to their online profiles
• Transport dogs to vet appointments
• Research different companies that donate to non-profits
• Help with Girl Scout, Boy Scout, Brownies, school groups, ect. Need help to come up with fun things for the kids to do while at the shelter. Create something for them to take home with them showing how they can help raise funds and gather items from shelter wish list.
• Help make adoption packets. These packets include several different informational fliers that are vital to the new adopter.
• Help out with maintenance work: gardening, tree trimming, painting, fence fixing, etc.
• Help with intake baths. We get a new transport of animals almost over day. We need volunteers that are willing to help bathe these new animals.
• Cleaning crates and organizing them in our storage space.
• Help wash dogs the morning of events (must become a volunteer specialist)
*** If you would like to help with any of these things, please email Brittany at Brittany@animalhouseshelter.com to get started
Can a group or organization volunteer?
Absolutely! We have groups from businesses, girl scouts, boy scouts, local clubs, ect who volunteer with our shelter. If you are interested in a group volunteer activity or outing as part of an organization or a club, please send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can arrange details ahead of your visit.
Can I complete community service by volunteering at the shelter?
Yes, we offer the opportunity to complete community service at the shelter. If you need to complete court-ordered community service, please call the shelter for more information, as other terms may apply.
If you are completing Community Service Hours, you just need to let the staff member at the front desk that is what you are there to do and they will get you a sign in/sign out sheet that you will need to have initialed each time. At the end of your completed hours, you will bring that sheet back in to us and we will write you an official letter stating the total hours completed with Animal House Shelter!
We do require that you
- Fill out the volunteer application on the ‘Online Application’ page on our website and then stop on in anytime (all 7 days of the week between 11am-7pm).
- ****You need to have tennis shoes or some sort of “closed-toe” shoes that cover your entire feet while at AHS.****
- As long as you are 16 or older you are welcome to come to the shelter any time between the hours of 11am-7pm everyday.
- You will need to bring in a waiver EACH DAY THAT YOU COME IN dated for that day and signed by a parent if you are under the age of eighteen. You can download the waiver here.
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent at all times.
What is the minimum required age to volunteer?
As long as you are 16 or older, you are welcome to come to the shelter any time between the hours of 11am-7pm everyday to volunteer. You will need to bring in a waiver EACH DAY THAT YOU COME IN dated for that day and signed by a parent if you are under the age of eighteen. You can download the waiver here.
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent at all times.
What should I bring with me to volunteer at the shelter?
- Complete volunteer application online.
- A signed volunteer waiver each day you come in, dated for that day and signed by a parent if you are under the age of eighteen. You can download the waiver here.
- Feel free to plan on staying the day, if you would like! Just be sure to bring a lunch or snack and water. Also remember that working with animals can be dirty, so dress accordingly and also dress appropriately for the weather. There is nothing more you need to do to volunteer, it is that simple! Just come on in and we’ll handle the rest.
What time and day is available to volunteer at the shelter?
11am-7pm Mon – Fri and Sun
Including all holidays!
Do you have more ideas on how you could volunteer?
Anything else you can think of? We are willing to work with you and any ideas you have! Come join our committees of dedicated volunteers who strive to make a difference in our community.
For more information on volunteering opportunities contact