Become a Volunteer
Our volunteers keep animals safe, healthy, and happy as they get ready for their new lifetime homes.
There are so many ways to volunteer your time to the shelter. Whether you want to visit with the animals or offer other services like marketing expertise, event engagement, construction services, or any of the examples below, we could most certainly utilize your time.
We Could Utilize Your Services!
We couldn’t save the lives of these animals without you. We appreciate any time or donations you can offer us.
We need volunteers seven days a week from 11:00-7:00. If you even have an hour, stop by. There’s always a pet in need.
Anyone can volunteer!
You just have to love animals and be ready to work.
We rescue thousands of abused and neglected dogs and cats every year. They all need care, help, and your love.
What will I do as a volunteer at Animal House?
- Walk and socialize with the dogs
- Bathe and groom dogs
- Spend quality 1-on-1 time with the animals to help socialize them and teach them tricks! (puppies, kittens & cats too)
- Spend time in the ‘Free Roam’ cat room to socialize, groom or otherwise, help make their lives more comfortable
“Unconditional Love is as Close as your nearest Shelter”
“One of the greatest things you can donate to a shelter is your time.”Project Pawsitivity
Other Ways to Volunteer
- Help with fundraising events–look on our Upcoming Events page and just give us a call or email if you can help at any of the scheduled events
- Share ideas on fundraising and special donation drives
- Create advertising material to help get the shelter recognized within a larger community radius
- Hold a drive at your school or in your community for things on our ‘wishlist‘
- Help pass out newsletters, brochures and donation cans around your community to get the animals more exposure. (You can stop by the shelter and pick them up anytime)
- Volunteer for Off-site Adoption Events (you can call the shelter for more information on adoption events)
- Gather bedding, cleaning supplies and other items from our ‘wish list’ in your community, for the animals and shelter
- Are you not able to adopt at this time? Consider offering one of the most rewarding things ever! A chance at life… Become a Licensed Foster Home today! Foster Care enables us to rescue animals that may have otherwise been euthanized due to their age, injury or health status. Animals in need of foster care often include Pregnant/nursing animals, animals recovering from surgery/injuries or dogs undergoing heartworm treatment.
- Help answer phone calls at the shelter, filing, grant writing.
- Help on busy adoption days (8am-noon on Saturdays especially) to keep puppy play pens clean and water & food bowls full.
- Transport animals to vet appointments.
- Clean cat cages & refill food and water bowls.
Can a group or organization volunteer?
Absolutely! We have groups from businesses, girl scouts, boy scouts, local clubs, ect who volunteer with our shelter. If you are interested in a group volunteer activity or outing as part of an organization or a club, please send us an email at: email@example.com so that we can arrange details ahead of your visit.
Can I complete community service by volunteering at the shelter?
Yes, we offer the opportunity to complete community service at the shelter. If you need to complete court-ordered community service, please call the shelter for more information, as other terms may apply.
If you are completing Community Service Hours, you just need to let the staff member at the front desk that is what you are there to do and they will get you a sign in/sign out sheet that you will need to have initialed each time. At the end of your completed hours, you will bring that sheet back in to us and we will write you an official letter stating the total hours completed with Animal House Shelter!
We do require that you
- Fill out the volunteer application on the ‘Online Application’ page on our website and then stop on in anytime (all 7 days of the week between 11am-7pm).
- ****You need to have tennis shoes or some sort of “closed-toe” shoes that cover your entire feet while at AHS.****
- As long as you are 16 or older you are welcome to come to the shelter any time between the hours of 11am-7pm everyday.
- You will need to bring in a waiver EACH DAY THAT YOU COME IN dated for that day and signed by a parent if you are under the age of eighteen. You can download the waiver here.
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent at all times.
What is the minimum required age to volunteer?
As long as you are 16 or older, you are welcome to come to the shelter any time between the hours of 11am-7pm everyday to volunteer. You will need to bring in a waiver EACH DAY THAT YOU COME IN dated for that day and signed by a parent if you are under the age of eighteen. You can download the waiver here.
Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent at all times.
What should I bring with me to volunteer at the shelter?
- Complete volunteer application online.
- A signed volunteer waiver each day you come in, dated for that day and signed by a parent if you are under the age of eighteen. You can download the waiver here.
- Feel free to plan on staying the day, if you would like! Just be sure to bring a lunch or snack and water. Also remember that working with animals can be dirty, so dress accordingly and also dress appropriately for the weather. There is nothing more you need to do to volunteer, it is that simple! Just come on in and we’ll handle the rest.
What time and day is available to volunteer at the shelter?
11am-7pm Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sun
Including all holidays!
Do you have more ideas on how you could volunteer?
Anything else you can think of? We are willing to work with you and any ideas you have! Come join our committees of dedicated volunteers who strive to make a difference in our community.
For more information on volunteering opportunities contact